Does Planet Fitness Have a Steam Room, Sauna or Hot Tub?
Aug 14, 2023
Planet Fitness is undoubtedly one of the most popular fitness chains in the United States, with over 2,000 locations and gym memberships from as little as $10 dollars it’s no surprise they have 16.2m Members globally
But is there a sauna at Planet Fitness? And if not, what are some alternatives that you can enjoy at their gyms?
Does Planet Fitness Have a Sauna?
The short answer is: No, most Planet Fitness gyms don't have a sauna or steam room. This is mostly because saunas are costly to install and maintain, and the cost would likely raise the membership fees significantly. Their unique low-cost business model that allows Planet Fitness to provide only the essential gym equipment while keeping their fitness services accessible to everyone. In fact this business model has allowed them to keep a $10 Membership for over 30 years.
However, although Planet Fitness gyms typically don't have a sauna, some Planet Fitness locations may offer one depending on the franchise owner and the local regulations. These are usually located in the locker room area and are available for both men and women. You can check with your local Planet Fitness to see if they have a sauna or steam room before you sign up.
Does Planet Fitness Have a Steam Room?
No, typically Planet Fitness does not offer a steam room. This might be a reason why Planet Fitness may not be the top choice for those wanting a traditional steam room experience.
Does Planet Fitness Gym have a Hot Tub?
No, the typical Planet Fitness club won't offer a hot tub can seem ideal. While Planet Fitness is known for many amenities, hot tubs sadly aren't provided by planet fitness.
Does Planet Fitness have a Jacuzzi?
Unfortunately, the answer remains consistent. Planet Fitness doesn’t offer jacuzzis in their gyms. The focus of the Planet Fitness brand remains different, as you will see below.
Why Doesn't Planet Fitness not have a sauna or steam room?
To understand the reason why Planet Fitness doesn’t have a sauna or a steam room, it's essential to look at their model and objectives.
- Low Membership Fees: One of the main reasons is to keep membership fees affordable. Planet Fitness's primary aim is to provide a budget-friendly fitness experience. Building and maintaining saunas and steam rooms every year can increase costs.
- Reduced staffing: To operate steam rooms and saunas requires additional cleaning and monitoring, meaning hiring more staff. To keep costs low, Planet Fitness avoids these additions.
- Space Constrains: Saunas and steam rooms require dedicated space. Instead, Planet Fitness focuses on providing ample exercise space, ensuring members have plenty of room to work out.
- Reduce Liability Issues: Wet areas, like a steam room or sauna can sometimes be a slip hazard. To reduce such risks, Planet Fitness has opted out of having the responsibility of sauna or steam room facilities.
Note: Planet Fitness has its Black Card, which offers an extensive range of enhanced gym amenities. Sadly though, they don't offer saunas or steam rooms on this membership.
Other Spa Amenities at Planet Fitness - What Planet Fitness Offers
Most Planet Fitness offers a variety of spa amenities, especially for their Planet Fitness Black Card tier membership. For those who aren't considering purchasing a personal sauna, several other health and wellness options that plant fitness provides:
• Tanning Facilities: For those looking for a golden glow, tanning beds are available at most typical Planet Fitness gyms. While tanning can stimulate vitamin D production, crucial for bone and immune health, there are associated risks. It's essential to recognize potential skin damage, premature aging, and heightened skin cancer risk. Proper precautions, including limited exposure and protective measures like sunscreen and eye shields, are recommended. Access to these facilities is exclusive to Black Card members.
• Hydro-Massage Devices: A soothing water massage system, helping muscles relax after a tough workout. These specialized units at Planet Fitness across the country use water jets under pressure to deliver a relaxing massage. They can help to ease muscle tension, diminish stress, and boost circulation. Users can customize their experience by adjusting water jet intensity, speed, and warmth. Access to these machines is also a perk for Black Card members.
• Red Light Treatment: This therapy available at Planet Fitness utilizes low-intensity red light to invigorate skin cells. Benefits include enhanced skin tone and texture, inflammation reduction, and the mitigation of acne, scars, and fine lines. Additionally, it supports collagen production, crucial for skin health and recuperation. Though the procedure is non-invasive and pain-free, it's advised not to gaze directly into the light. This therapy is also a feature of the Black Card membership.
• Total Body Enhancement Units: This is an alternative to a sauna or red light therapy that can boost mood and energy. These innovative machines at Planet Fitness merge red light therapy with vibrational techniques. As the body is illuminated with red light, vibrations of varied intensities are applied, engaging the muscles. This can bolster workout results, aid in calorie burn, muscle toning, and skin improvement. While considered safe, those with specific health concerns or implanted devices should consult with a healthcare professional prior to use.
• Massage Chairs: Perfect for a post-workout relaxation, available for Black Card members.
Alternative Gyms with Saunas and Steam Rooms?
For those adamant about having a sauna or steam room experience, there are other fitness centers that offer these facilities:
- Equinox: Known for its luxurious amenities, including saunas and steam rooms as well as pools and spas, at all of their locations for their members. The membership cost is usually $200 to $300 per month, depending on the location and the type of membership.
- LA Fitness: LA Fitness is a mid-range gym that often features steam and sauna facilities. It might be pricier than Planet Fitness but not quite as luxurious as Equinox. The membership cost is usually $29.99 per month, plus a $99 initiation fee. Check your local LA Fitness website to find out if they offer a sauna in select locations.
- YMCA Gym: A community-oriented gym that often has saunas and steam rooms available, depending on the location.
- 24 Hour Fitness: : This gym chain offers saunas and steam rooms at some of their locations for their members. The membership cost depends on the location and the type of membership, but it usually ranges from $30 to $50 per month
Membership Vs Buying a Home Sauna or Infrared Sauna?
If you are looking for a way to relax and unwind after a workout but don’t want to break the bank with an expensive Membership for a gym with a sauna, there are a number of home sauna options that give you all the same sauna benefits such as improved circulation, muscle pain relief, and detoxification. These include:
Now for most people the idea of sweating in a bag might not be particularly appealing… but try one out before you rule it out. These compact portable saunas use infrared rays to heat up your body and make you sweat. This offers similar benefits to traditional saunas,such as improving your blood circulation, metabolism, mood, skin, muscle recovery, and weight loss. Plus, you can use it anywhere you want, such as your bedroom, living room, or even outdoors. A sauna blanket is like having your own personal spa at home.
If you want to enjoy the benefits of saunas without the hassle of lighting a wood burning stove or preheating then an infrared sauna or red light sauna might be your best choice. Using special lamps these saunas emit infrared rays that penetrate your skin and heat up your body directly. This way, you can get a deeper and more effective heat therapy that can boost your heart rate, metabolism, detoxification, calorie consumption, fat burning, inflammation reduction, skin improvement, and recovery after exercise. An infrared sauna can also save you money in the long run compared to a traditional sauna, as it consumes less energy and requires less maintenance. It's important to note however that infrared saunas don't have steam.
If you prefer the classic way of relaxing in a sauna with hot air and steam, then a traditional sauna is the way to go. A traditional sauna uses a wood burning stove or electric sauna heater to warm up the air and the rocks in the sauna room. You can pour water and essential oils over the sauna rocks to create steam and increase the humidity. A traditional sauna can help you maintain and create healthy cells, fight cancer, reduce body pain, improve circulation, help with weight loss, improve mental well-being, boost your immune system, help with sleep difficulties. A traditional sauna also provides a more social experience that you can share with friends and family.
Now, the important question. How much do these things cost?
While the upfront costs are certainly higher than a monthly gym membership, when you spread the costs out over a year or even 3 home saunas work out as surprisingly cost effective!